- 1 T butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 T all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup peeled and cubed sweet potato
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 14-oz cans of chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked and pureed pumpkin or 1 15 0z can of pumpkin
- 1 cup milk
- 1 T fresh lime juice
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion for 3-4 minutes then add flour, curry, cumin and nutmeg and saute for 1 minute.
- Add sweet potato, salt, chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for about 20-25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
- Place half of the pumpkin mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Using a strainer, pour soup back into pan. Repeat with rest of soup.
- Raise heat to medium then stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through.
- Remove from heat and add lime juice.
This article uses material from the Wikibooks article “Cookbook:Spiced Pumpkin Soup“, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.